Dr. Salzberg offers women a quicker, less uncomfortable process of mastectomy breast reconstruction known as Direct to Implant, or “One-Step.” The procedure was pioneered by Dr. Salzberg and is practiced for hundreds of women who live locally or fly in from across the country to Westchester and Orange Counties for their care. Dr. Salzberg performs the direct to implant procedure as part of breast cancer treatment, or prevention for women at high risk due to BRCA mutations or family history.
Dr. Salzberg skills and experience, along with his compassionate demeanor, draws patients from across the U.S. and even overseas to the New York Group for Plastic Surgery for mastectomy breast reconstruction. For the majority of women, their surgical procedure requires them to stay in the area for 7—10 days. They can then return home to complete their recovery.
Personal Attention to Your Needs from the Start
Your first step is to call us for a surgical phone consult appointment. Our surgical coordinators will arrange for a specific, dedicated time for surgical staff to “meet” with you by phone to explain our procedure and answer your questions. You’ll need to send us your photos, your medical history and any test results in advance so we can provide you with individualized information for your particular situation.
Once you have decided to pursue surgery with the New York Group for Plastic Surgery, we will begin the process of insurance authorization. We will send you a comprehensive packet that includes details of the procedure, relevant scientific literature related to the procedure, pre-op instructions for the weeks and days leading up to your surgery, and information related to recovery and what to expect after your surgery.
Our Goal: The Best Care with Less Stress
We strive to reduce your stress and make it as convenient for you as possible while you’re here for surgery. We’ll schedule your pre- and post-op office visits in advance, including coordinating with your breast surgeon’s office. We’ll provide options for hotels located within a short drive to our offices and the hospital. Many nearby hotels offer suites complete with master bedrooms, living areas and kitchens, so you can make yourself more at home while recovering after surgery. There are numerous airports in the NY area to fly into, including the nearby White Plains Airport. We strongly suggest that you rent a car to drive back and forth from the airport, to and from our offices as well as the hospital during your stay.
Support for You and Your Family
We will actively communicate with you and be sure you feel as comfortable and informed as possible before and after your surgery. We even offer a new way to support you and your family during surgery with use of a simple app called MDConnectME.
A week before surgery our office will send an MDConnectME invitation to you by email, with the option to input cell phone contact information of your family and friends. MDConnectME will send you several pre-operative reminders several days prior to your surgery. On the day of surgery, MDConnectME will send brief update text messages to your designated list about where you are in the surgical process. We’ve found that this simple communication provides a lot of comfort to your companion in the waiting area, as well as to the people who care about you across the country or overseas!
After surgery and during your hospital stay there are nurses in charge of your care day and night, and if you choose, your family member or other caregiver is welcome to stay overnight in the hospital room with you. We will provide them with a roll-away bed, pillows and blankets.
Your Surgical Week in Review
Typically, our direct to implant breast reconstruction patients will make travel arrangements for a schedule that looks like this:
- Arrive several days before surgery in order to have visits with us in our office, and a visit to the breast surgeon’s office, which are about ten minutes apart. Sometimes patients come in even a few days earlier than these appointments to take advantage of restaurants, Broadway shows or other attractions in nearby New York City. At these appointments, you will have a face to face consultation where you may get any last minute questions answered, view before and after photos, and meet additional staff members who will assist the surgeons in your medical care.
- On the day of surgery, your companion can stay with you in the hospital up until you are taken to the operating room. Your mastectomy and breast reconstruction surgery will take about 3 hours, followed by an hour or so in the recovery area.
- You’ll stay in the hospital for 2 nights, and your companion can stay in your room with you, if you choose.
- When you leave the hospital, you can go home if you live within a few hours drive, or stay at a nearby hotel to rest and recuperate. If you feel up to it, you can even take short visits to nearby shopping malls or restaurants.
- We’ll see you in our offices 5 days from your surgery for a check, then again 2 days later to remove your drains. If you are doing well, as expected, you can travel home. Thus, you will have your drains for 7 days.
- If you are close enough for a follow-up, we suggest a return visit at 4 weeks, 8 weeks and 6 months out from surgery. If you live too far for repeated visits, we will continue to follow up with you through email and phone calls. You will send us pictures as well so that we may follow your healing progression.
What to Bring
You don’t need to bring much with you when traveling to us for surgery. In addition to your usual toiletries, we suggest:
- Insurance and prescription cards, as well as other medical documents you may need
- 4 or 5 slightly oversized shirts that button or zipper down the front
- Comfortable, loose fitting pants (sweat or yoga pants) and pajama bottoms
- Pillow to place between yourself and the seat belt in the car or plane during post-surgery travel
- “Sippy” or other spill-proof cup to hold water
- Lozenges to soothe your throat, which may be a bit sore the day after surgery due to intubation for anesthesia
The following hotels, located near our Tarrytown offices, are familiar with our practice and many of our patients have stayed in them while recovering. Some offer a bit more pampering, while others offer suite accommodations that feel more like home.
Sheraton Tarrytown Hotel
600 White Plains Road, Tarrytown, NY 10591
Hyatt Summerfield Suites
101 Corporate Park Drive, White Plains, NY 10604
Castle on the Hudson
An historic medieval castle overlooking the Hudson River that offers guest rooms and suites, as well as a 5-star restaurant, Equus.
400 Benedict Avenue, Tarrytown, NY 10591
A full list of our recommended Accomodations and Attractions are found here.
You are Our Patient for the Long Run!
The New York Group for Plastic Surgery surgeons and support staff consider you our patient for the long run, not just while you are physically in our care. We continue to provide guidance and support as you heal. Most women won’t have cause to fly back to us for follow-up, but if you do, we will again do our best to provide optimal care and convenience, and we’ll always make you feel welcome.