Breast augmentation is performed in our on-site outpatient facility, either under heavy sedation or general anesthesia. You will need someone to drive you home and help you out for a few days after your procedure. Although you will initially need to rest, you should be up and moving around within a day or two and ready to return to light activity, including work, after about 5 days. More vigorous activity and exercise will be limited for at least the first month.
Breast Augmentation Post Op Recovery Expectations
Surgeons and staff of the New York Group for Plastic Surgery are here to support you after breast augmentation. The following instructions and guidelines will help your recovery process:
- Prior to waking from surgery you will be placed in a surgical bra that holds the implants in position. For sub-muscular augmentations, you will have a strap on your bra that lies on the top of your implants. This strap holds the implants in place as the muscle heals. You must wear the bra at all times for the first few weeks after surgery.
- You may shower 48 hours after surgery. When you remove the bra you will have some gauze underneath it. You may remove and discard it. Do not remove the small white bandage strips that lie on top of your incisions.
- Immediately after showering, replace the gauze if necessary and put the bra back on. You may wash the bra at this time if necessary.
- During the first week, attempt to sleep on your back instead of on your side. We want your implants to stay in perfect position during your healing process.
- It is not uncommon to have a feeling of tightness and pressure on your chest. This feeling will gradually subside as your body adjusts to having the implants in place.
- We want you to avoid straining or any aerobic activity for at least three weeks, to avoid bleeding, bruising and swelling. No bending or lifting. If you need to bend, do so from the knees and go straight down maintaining a vertical line. The doctor will give you clearance to increase your activity according to the progress of your recovery.
SCHEDULING YOUR CONSULTATION
Request your consultation and begin your journey to confidence. More than anything, you want a surgeon who connects with you on a personal and professional level, providing quality care to help you look and feel your very best. At the New York Group for Plastic Surgery, our patients are fortunate to enjoy the care of highly-qualified plastic surgeons with over 35 years experience.