Your weight loss surgery worked! But sagging skin remains, keeping you from realizing the body of your dreams. At New York Group for Plastic Surgery, we offer patients that one last step in the process, removing excess tissue, contouring their physique, and helping them achieve their aesthetic goals.
Body Contouring Procedures To Consider
We understand the frustration that often lingers following bariatric surgery: the weight is gone, but a surprising amount of skin remains. Fortunately, several body contouring procedures can remove unwanted skin, add definition, and re-contour your slimmer body.
- Body Lift – A body lift is an extensive surgical procedure performed after drastic weight loss. A body lift usually requires two incisions that extend around the entire circumference of the body: one at the level of the belly button and one near where the legs meet the abdomen. The incisions create a band of tissue that is removed. Then the lower incision is pulled upward while the upper incision is pulled downward and the two are joined. Removing this large apron of skin and fat provides a more compact shape and tightens sagging skin in the waist, abdomen, hips, thighs, and buttocks.
- Arm Lift – An arm lift removes excess skin between the armpit and elbow. Incisions are usually placed along the backside of the arm, and excess skin is removed. Then the remaining skin is pulled together and secured to create a smooth and trim upper arm.
- Thigh Lift – Weight loss can leave the inner thigh extremely saggy, and therefore uncomfortable. During a thigh lift procedure, incisions are placed in the crease of the groin, excess skin is removed and the skin below the incision is lifted secured into place. A thigh lift tightens and smooths your inner thigh tissue, reducing chafing and improving the appearance of your legs.
- Tummy Tuck – Many bariatric weight loss patients have excess skin on their abdomen that makes them feel frustrated and interferes with how their clothes fit. A tummy tuck, or abdominoplasty, surgically tightens abdominal muscles and removes excess skin and fat from the abdomen. The incision stretches from hip bone to hip bone and is concealed below the panty line. Redundant skin is removed, and internal sutures are placed in the abdominal muscles to tighten and strengthen the core. Then the incision is closed with stitches, tape, clips or skin adhesive. A tummy tuck gives you the flat tummy you’ve always wanted, and helps your clothes fit beautifully.
- Breast Augmentation – Following dramatic weight loss, your breasts may change in ways you never imagined. We offer several breast surgeries, including breast reduction, breast lift, and breast augmentation. Breast reduction surgery decreases the size of your breasts, making them proportional to the rest of your new body. A breast lift raises the breasts and removes excess skin. Breast implants add volume and shape to enhance your chest. Each procedure involves different surgical techniques, and your surgeon will strategically place incisions to limit scarring.
- Facelift – A facelift tightens and removes loose skin from the face and adjusts the underlying facial tissue and fat to create an ideal aesthetic. Because of our extensive expertise in facelift procedures, we are able to provide a look that is natural and beautiful, not taut or frozen. Incisions are strategically placed around the hairline, in the temple region, around the ears, and near the lower part of the scalp behind the ears. Occasionally, an additional incision is needed in the chin area to provide further tightening to the neck. The extent of your facelift will determine incision placement, and every attempt is made to conceal incisions so that any scarring is hidden.
- Neck Lift – The goal of a neck lift is to smooth and rejuvenate the skin on your neck. During a neck lift, your surgeon will remove excess skin, lifting it and securing it in place. Incisions are usually made near the sideburn area of your face, around the ear, and behind the ear. The procedure is often combined with a facelift, completing your overall more youthful look.
- Liposuction – Liposuction provides the finishing touch to a variety of procedures by removing stubborn pockets of fat to reveal a leaner figure. It is incredibly versatile and can remove fat on your chin, arms, back fat, love handles, abdomen, thighs, hips, and buttocks. Incisions are small, so scarring is minimal.
While your surgeon will help you determine which plastic surgery procedure or combination of procedures will help you achieve optimal body contouring, it is essential to have realistic expectations and understand that no cosmetic procedure can give you the “perfect” body. In addition, cosmetic surgery involves incisions that can be strategically placed, but may not always be completely concealed.
Multiple Procedures Performed In One Surgery
Combining multiple procedures into one surgery minimizes anesthesia and consolidates the recovery period and downtime. You won’t have to plan for several operations across several months; instead, you can have one surgery that incorporates several procedures.
You can expect mild pain, bruising and swelling with each of these procedures. You will be given post-care instructions to help minimize your pain and promote healing. For most procedures, we recommend wearing a compression garment to reduce swelling and aid in healing. You will have follow-up appointments with your surgeon throughout your recovery to ensure that your incisions are healing properly.
Combining procedures means that different parts of your body will be healing at the same time. While this may cause more discomfort at the beginning of your recovery, it reduces your overall recovery and allows you to go through the healing process just once, versus multiple times with separate surgeries.
Having multiple cosmetic procedures in one surgery may require additional downtime. You may not be able to lift anything of substance, exercise or exert yourself for several weeks. You may need extra time away from work based on the amount of bruising and pain you are experiencing. But in the long run, having multiple procedures performed in one surgery ultimately reduces the amount of time you are away from work, exercise and the activities you love.
Take The Next Step
Your desire to enhance your appearance has brought you here. Take the next step and call the New York Group for Plastic Surgery at 888-664-8381 to schedule a consultation. Meeting with one of our experienced surgeons is the best way to discover which procedure or combination of procedures would work best to enhance your appearance. Your surgeon will listen to your concerns and goals, assess your body type, evaluate your excess skin and tailor a treatment plan that reveals the body you have worked so hard to achieve.